All the flavor of a taco without the unnecessary carby shell (or see below for how to make a cheese shell). Quick, easy and perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
Construct your taco salad using some or all of:
- Butter lettuce
- Grassfed ground beef (see my homemade taco seasoning below)
- Taco sauce
- Sour cream
- Mexican blend cheese
- Guacamole or avocado chunks
- Roma tomato or diced tomatoes, or salsa
- Sprinkle of cumin and chili powder on top
For the ground beef, I don’t use pre-made taco seasoning because it’s loaded with carbs such as wheat and sugar, and is fairly overpriced. You can make your own! Simply brown the ground beef and once drained (don’t drain all the way. Keep some of the fat!) add the following ingredients:
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder (not too much or it will overpower the rest of the mixture)
- Onion powder
- Ground mustard
- Red pepper flakes
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Black pepper and/or white pepper
The ratios are up to your personal preference. If you’re unsure start with 1/4 tsp of each and add/adjust as you taste.
If you’re wondering why I’m not mentioning cilantro it’s because it tastes like soap to me, but feel free to ruin your own salad with it 🙂
Looking for a taco salad cheese bowl or shell? Those are simple to make!
- Just heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add a tsp of coconut oil or any oil.
- Take any shredded cheese and form a thin layer of cheese in a circle in the middle of the pan. Size it to your shell size of preference. Optional: sprinkle on Mexican/taco seasonings such as cumin or chili powder
- Let the cheese fry for 3-5 minutes. Let it bubble and cook through the phases. When you can put a spatula under the cheese and pick it up as a single piece, that’s when it’s done.
- You can form it into a bowl by putting it on an upside down bowl and letting it cool that way. You can form it into a traditional taco shell by draping it over a raised wooden spoon, and let it cool and form into a hard shell.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.