Unlike my previous breakfast bagel recipe, this one is paleo and gives you much thinner bagels, and is therefore less calorie dense. This one also comes out a little fluffier. It is also nut-free and does not use almond flour like most recipes do.
- 12 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded, low-moisture
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBSP butter, melted; or olive oil (if not allowed butter on paleo)
- Seasonings/topping of choice (garlic powder, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds, dehydrated onions, pink salt, etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Put the cheese in a large microwave bowl. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat microwave/stirring every 30 seconds until all the way melted.
- While you are waiting on the above, mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl (coconut flour, baking powder, and xanthan gum)
- Once cheese is melted, add the eggs and dry mixture. Knead into a homogeneous dough.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 chunks
- Press each piece into either a silicone bagel/donut mold pan, or a greased donut/bagel pan. Press firmly into each mold so that the bagel is a single piece (to help prevent crumbles). Knead it in as needed.
- Brush the melted butter onto each bagel
- Sprinkle on the toppings of choice (optional) and press them into the dough a little bit so they stick through the baking process.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Check to see if the edges are golden brown. If not, bake another 5 minutes.
- Let cool briefly and enjoy! You can store the extra bagels in the fridge in any leftover container or a ziplock bag.
If you made this into 6 bagels, then each bagel is 242 calories, 6g net carbs, 14.8g fat and 17.5g protein.
If 8, then 182 calories, 4.6g net carbs, 11g fat, and 13g protein.
I added butter and garlic salt to mine and it was delicious!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.