A lot of low carbers are reaching for the ridiculously overpriced and NOT keto ice cream called Halo Top. Halo Top is loaded with cane sugar, which will spike your insulin. It’s also lacking in enough fat which will make your blood sugars spike even faster. If you want to live a keto lifestyle, it’s best to stay away from Halo Top, and all similar brands trying to be Halo Top. Sorry.
However – you can STILL enjoy ice cream! You can simply just make your own! There is an easy and cheaper replacement, and it doesn’t require an ice cream maker. The only equipment you need is a mason jar.
The recipe below is a “base” recipe. You can add all sorts of flavors and goodies to your ice cream jar. Ideas below.
For the base recipe:
- 1 cup of organic heavy whipping cream, ideally from grass-fed cows
- 1.5 TBSP of granular keto-approved sweetener, such as pyure
- 6-8 drops of liquid stevia
- 1 tsp of organic vanilla extract
- 1 tiny pinch of pink sea salt
- Simply add all ingredients to a Mason Jar
- Shake vigorously for at least 5 minutes. The mixture instead should become thick and almost doubled in amount.
- Freeze overnight… although if you can’t wait it should be good enough after 3 hours.
- When you remove it from the freezer, set it out on the counter for 5 or 10 minutes and it will soften. Erythritol (an ingredient in pyure, swerve, etc) will harden cream when frozen so just let it sit out and it will be soft and creamy.
Since nothing in the base recipe really has any calories other than the cream, the nutritional value of the base is simply the value of the cream. If you make 4 servings, then it’s 200 calories, and about 2g net carbs (each TBSP of cream really has like .4g of carbs, not 0g. The FDA allows anything less than half to be rounded down as a 0). Pyure carbs do not count because your body pees out erythritol. Almost none of it is absorbed.
Optional Goodies to make various flavors:
- 1 TBSP of unsweetened cocoa powder (for chocolate ice cream)
- 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract (for mint ice cream)
- Raw cacao nibs, or lily’s dark chocolate chips (combine with above for chocolate mint chip ice cream)
- 1/4 tsp of lemon extract (for lemon ice cream)
- 3-5 muddled strawberries (for strawberry ice cream)
- 1 TBSP of sugar-free Torani syrups (contains sucralose so not ideal if doing keto to heal disease) such as Smores
- Vanilla powder, to make a stronger vanilla flavor
Looking for something sweet, keto, and instant? Check out Keto Bark!