A Cheese waffle. Chaffle. A waffle made primarily out of cheese and egg. It’s actually pretty simple and there are many various recipes out there. I’ve read and tried them all, and I’ve come up with my own favorite concoction below. It’s not too eggy and the consistency is perfect in my opinion.
You’ll definitely need to get yourself a mini waffle maker for these. I have this cheap one (get it here) and it works great!
- 1/2 Cup shredded Mozzarella cheese – Tip: The finer shredded ones make for a little better consistency
- 1 Large Egg
- 1.5 TBSP Almond flour
- 1/2 TBSP ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp Psyllium husk powder (optional, but recommended for texture, sprinkle in so it doesn’t clump)
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
How to make:
- Plug in your mini waffle maker to preheat
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until a homogeneous mixture is formed
- Spray your waffle maker with coconut oil spray or similar nonstick oil spray
- Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into the middle. Press waffle maker down and then let it sit for 3 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when it’s browned and easily comes off of the waffle maker. If it’s gooey and hard to remove keep cooking it.
- Repeat steps 3-4 until all mixture is gone.
- Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!
To make it more savory, you can also add 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp chives, or 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Really any seasoning you want!
I’ve made many things with mine: breakfast sandwiches, grilled cheese, used for burger buns, etc. This chaffle is extremely versatile! Leave the savory seasonings out and use it as an actual waffle with some sugar-free syrup!
This recipe makes 2 Chaffles.