A lot of low-carb recipes call to substitute zucchini for noodle replacement (which is also really good), but this recipe actually substitutes noodles for Keto-made noodles which makes it taste exactly like real lasagna!
This recipe makes 8-10 servings, so plenty for leftovers all week!
To make the noodles:
- 4 large eggs, ideally pasture raised and organic
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 8 TBSP Parmesan cheese, grated
- Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and cream cheese with a hand mixer
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and seasonings, and continue to mix until combined
- Use a spatula and fold in all of the mozzarella cheese
- Spread the mixture evenly into a thin layer over the 2 lined baking sheets
- Bake for 25 minutes in the center rack
- Cool in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, or overnight if prepped ahead.
- After cooled, use a pizza slicer to cut them into long noodles that will fit your 9×13″ baking dish
To make the Beef layer:
- 1 pound of grass-fed ground beef
- Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, minced onion
- 1 jar of Rao’s marinara sauce
- In a large skillet, brown the beef.
- Once browned, drain some of the fat (not all!) and add the seasonings. Stir.
- Add in the Mariana sauce (I use Rao’s because it has no added sugars, and there is no gross processed inflammatory soybean oil). Stir until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings to preference.
- Let simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
To make Ricotta layer:
- 32 ounce container of Ricotta cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- In a large bowl, mix together the Ricotta, the egg, & garlic powder. Stir until well combined. You could also add in cooked spinach to this mixture if you wanted.
- You will need 1 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese, in addition to the 3 layers above.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a 9×13″ baking dish, pour a very thin layer of the beef sauce and spread.
- Top that layer with 1/3 of the noodles in a single layer.
- Spread 1/3 of the Ricotta layer over this
- Add 1/3 of the remaining beef mixture on top
- Repeat steps 3-5 until you have 3 full layers
- Add shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Sprinkle with more Italian seasoning if you’d like.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cheese should be melty on top.
You can really layer this however you want. You can also add spinach layers, or add in mushrooms for extra veggies.
Note: I took the recipe from Peace, Love, and Low-carb and modified it to fit a full 9×13 baking dish, and adjusted so the noodles were thinner.
If you want something on the lighter side, check out my Lasagna category where I use zucchini in place of noodles in several recipes.