Sugar, or any alias or variation of sugar (fructose, HFCS, cane syrup, honey, agave, etc), is not keto. Here are the following sugar substitutes that I use on my site:
- Pyure – This is a mixture of stevia and erythritol. This is my favorite one and I save 15% by buying it through Amazon subscription.
- Erythritol – Just the pure stuff, such as this one from Now Foods
- Swerve – This is mostly just erythritol. It comes in granular and powdered.
- Stevia drops – Such as these from NuStevia
- Sweet drops – These are also just stevia but they come in flavors.
- Monk fruit powder, such as this one
- Sukrin Gold – Brown sugar substitute made with mostly erythritol
- Sukrin Melis – Powdered sugar substitute made with mostly erythritol
Xylitol is also a keto-friendly sweetener, but I have not tried it. This can be toxic to pets so if you buy it just keep it away from your furr babies.
Truvia is also keto-friendly. It’s basically stevia/erythritol just like pyure.
- Splenda. It has maltodextrin in it. AKA Sugar. That’s right. Splenda, which is advertised to diabetics, actually contains sugar, and our FDA allows this to be marketed as sugar-free! Check out the serving size and you’ll see why.
- Sucralose. This is another name for splenda. Sometimes you can find pure sucralose which has no maltodextrin in it, however, this is still man made and not technically keto.
- Stevia in the Raw. Also contains Dextrose which is yet ANOTHER alias for sugar. Opt for pure stevia instead (or a blend of stevia and erythritol)
- Maltitol. This is man-made sugar-alcohol and can cause terrible bloating or discomfort. Avoid as much as possible.
- Sorbitol. Same as above. Okay in tiny quantities such as gum or mints. Much lower glycemic response than maltitol though.
- Aspartame. Stay away from this man-made cancer garbage. Stop the diet sodas.
- Saccharin. This is the crap in the pink envelopes. Just run away. Why is this junk even still around?
- Sugar in the Raw. This does not make it any healthier by calling it “raw” and is simply a marketing ploy. Still sugar. Not Keto.
- ___ In the Raw – This is a brand and they always add dextrose or maltodextrin which is sugar
- Sucrose. This is another name for sugar. Avoid.
- Fructose. Alias name for sugar. Avoid.
- Glucose. Still sugar. Avoid.
- Syrups. Pretty much any of them no matter what other words they put around it. Pure sugar. Avoid.
- Agave. This is just sugar. Avoid.
- Honey. Still sugar. Avoid.
- Molasses. Still sugar. Avoid.
- ___ Juice. Probably sugar. Avoid.
- Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Maltose, Sorghum – All alias names for Sugar. Avoid.
- Corn Sweetener. That fact that it says “corn” should be a warning sign. This is sugar. Avoid.
- Caramel. This is just cooked sugar. Avoid.
- Barley Malt. This is sugar. Avoid.
- There are so many more… I recommend you research alias names of sugar and memorize them.
You can read the book “Sugar has 56 names” for more detailed information.