Fatty and spicy. This meal was so delicious and satisfying that I didn’t even want a glass of wine with it!
This works for 1.5 pounds of pork shoulder. Increase marinade recipe for more pork.
First make the marinade. Combine the following in a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Seasonings don’t have to be exact. Play around with it until it tastes good to you.
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 TBSP Lime juice
- 1 cup Avocado oil
- 1/2 cup liquid aminos, or coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you’re okay with that)
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- A few sprinkles of red pepper flakes
- A few drops of liquid stevia
- 1 TBSP Jerk seasoning (optional but adds a nice extra kick, but watch out because it can have added sugar which is why I prefer to get most of the flavor from my own concoction above)
- You can also add orange, lemon or lime zest but not required
Cut the pork shoulder into bite sized pieces.
Add the pork to a gallon ziplock bag
Cut up 1/2 a green pepper and 1/4 of a red pepper into bite sized pieces. Add to bag.
Cut up a white onion into bite sized pieces. Add to bag.
Cut up some white mushrooms into bite sized pieces. Add to bag.
Pour mixed marinade over everything in the bag.
Marinate for 24-48 hours, flipping or massaging a couple of times.
Pan fry this over medium high heat in a cast iron skillet, or other skillet, with a TBSP of coconut oil and a TBSP or two of butter. Stir every few minutes for 20 minutes until everything is well caramelized and veggies look blackened.
Serve with sour cream (optional) to ease the heat! Enjoy 🙂