How to tell if Eggs are still Good
I don’t usually trust expiration dates. I like to trust me senses and instincts instead.
That being said, eggs are a different story. Sometimes it’s hard to tell, especially before you crack it into a recipe.
I often find that expiration dates on eggs are phooey. Try out this quick and easy egg float test before throwing your “expired” eggs out. They probably aren’t really expired.
- Fill an 8oz glass of water with cool water.
- Place the egg in the glass.
- Observe what the egg does:
- If the egg sinks and lays on its side, it’s still very fresh and very good.
- If the egg sinks but stands up, but still touches the bottom, it’s still good, just not as fresh.
- If the egg floats, toss it out! That’s when it’s actually bad.