Traditional authentic guacamole is extremely keto! However, the problem is that most store-bought guacamole’s contain added sugars or inflammatory soybean oil, or the pre-made spice mixtures contain added sugars (usually maltodextrin), corn syrup solids, and other non-keto ingredients. Prepackaged mixtures are also extremely over priced. You can EASILY make your own for much cheaper AND keep it keto!
- 3 ripe avocados (yields approximately 400g of fruit/flesh)
- 100g of chopped red onion
- 1 TBSP of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of pink sea salt
- 1 TBSP lime juice (adds tang and also keeps the guacamole from turning brown)
- In a medium bowl, mash together the flesh of the avocado. This is best done in a molcajete but can also be accomplished in a bowl with a fork, just with more effort.
- Stir in the onion
- Mix together all the spices in a separate small bowl, then stir into the avocado mix
- Stir in the lime juice
You can serve with some Parm crisps!
You could also stir in freshly chopped cilantro, but I personally hate that herb so I never use it in my recipes.