As a kid, I was never a huge fan of Mac N cheese. Sure, I “liked it” but honestly it always seems boring and bland.
However, this ketofied recipe is delicious. They cheese is gooey and the flavors and textures together here are outstanding. Try it out.
You will need:
- Coconut oil spray
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/4 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 TBSP of Cream Cheese
- 2 Cups of Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded, and 1/2 more cup for topping.
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F and boil a large pot of water with Salt
- Add the cauliflower to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Move cauliflower to a colander to drain for 5 minutes (to prevent your dish from getting watery).
- Prep a 9×9″ baking dish with coconut oil spray. Once cauliflower is drained, move it to this dish.
- Start on the cheese sauce. In a small pan, heat the heavy cream over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- When the cream seems hot but not yet boiling, stir in the cream cheese
- Once cream cheese is fully melted, add the 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Stir constantly until well-combined.
- Add in the ground mustard, garlic, pepper and a pinch of salt. Stir.
- Once cheese mixture is fully combined, taste, add more seasonings if desired, and then pour over the cauliflower in the baking dish.
NOTE: The cheese sauce should fully cover the cauliflower. You didn’t have noodles sticking out of the top of Mac N cheese as a kid, and as such you don’t want any pieces of cauliflower that don’t get soaked in the gooey cheese sauce.
- Add the other 1/2 cup of cheddar to the top of the dish, evenly. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sides of the cheese are bubbling up. Serve & Enjoy!
This dish is delicious hot, but honestly, I prefer most of my food cold after it’s been sitting in a fridge all night, marinating in its own flavors. This dish is really good right of the fridge as leftovers.
You can eat a lot of this as a full meal, or use it as a side to a meat dish!
If you liked this recipe, try my fancy Spaghetti squash Mac N Cheese recipe here.